Good afternoon everyone and welcome back to TFB’s Silencer Saturday brought to you by Yankee Hill Machine, manufacturers of the new YHM R45 Multi-Host Suppressor. Last week we compared the performance of the SIG SLH and SLX suppressors on the SIG MCX-SPEAR LT in 300BLK. This week we get our first look at the HUXWRX VENTUM 762 – a HUB compatible flow though rifle suppressor. Is this the silencer that gets you on to the HUXWRX train? Let’s find out.
More HUXWRX @ TFB:
SILENCER SATURDAY 298: HUB and Flow with the HUXWRX VENTUM 762
If you asked me seven years ago if I thought I would have reviewed three HUXWRX (OSS) suppressors in the span of a year, I probably would have thought you were making a joke. I was a vocal critic of the early OSS days and the multi-part models with complex attachment systems. Not anymore.
Here we are in 2023, with the VENTUM 762 being the latest Silencer Saturday review, featuring a universal mounting system with an option for a direct thread attachment. It is fairly light, completely user serviceable, and of course, includes the Flow-Through technology that has caught the industry’s attention.
I think it’s fairly easy to tell from past HUXWRX reviews that I am a pretty big fan of the FLOW 556K and FLOW 762 models – they are quiet, nearly eliminate the negative effects of “blowback”, and in general require little to no modifications to the host weapon to preserve proper functioning. My main complaints were the proprietary muzzle devices that are a bit bulk and heavy.
With the release of the VENTUM 762, HUXWRX has brought HUB compatibility to their lineup. The HUB system is a pseudo-industry standard mounting system that features 1.375×24 threads to allow for either HUXWRX mounts or mounts from other manufactures who use the same specifications. The benefit being that a shooter does not have change to a whole new mounting system just because they buy a new suppressor.
Unlike the FLOW 556K and the FLOW 762, the VENTUM 762 is manufactured with traditional manufacturing processes as opposed to additive manufacturing technologies. I take that back, the core appears to be printed whereas the tube is machined. The benefit being that the VENTUM 762 is fully user serviceable.
Let’s take a look at the numbers.
HUXWRX VENTUM 762 – Specifications
To assemble the HUXWRX VENTUM 762:
- Ensure components are assembled as shown above.
- Use provided Ventum Wrench and torque wrench on the cap and 7/8″ socket on the Direct Thread Adapter to torque the components to 25 ft-lbf.
- A 1-5/8″ 6-point socket can also be used on the Cap in a case where the Ventum Wrench is being used on the Housing flats.
- The Ventum Wrench can be secured into a vice to aid in this process.
- It is critical that the FLOW Ventum Core is assembled in the orientation shown.
- Note that when properly assembled, the FLOW Ventum Core will protrude from the end of the suppressor with arrows pointing away from the shooter.
- A 1″ wooden dowel can be used to push out the FLOW Ventum Core.
VENTUM 762 HUB Mounting
- In general, torque the adapter to the HUB compatible housing to 25 ft-lb using a torque wrench.
- If applicable, torque the Flash Hider/Comp/Brake to the barrel to 35 ft-lb.
VENTUM 762 Suppressor Maintenance and Cleaning:
- Recommended maintenance cycle for the suppressor is 2500 rounds or less.
- For detailed maintenance, disassemble down to the individual components shown in the exploded assembly view.
- The Direct Thread Adapter, Housing, and Cap are heat-treated and black nitride coated stainless steel and can be cleaned with a steel bristle brush, wire wheel, ultrasonic cleaner, media tumbler, tools and CLP to remove fouling.
- The FLOW Ventum Core is 3D-printed titanium and can be cleaned with a steel bristle brush, wire wheel, ultrasonic cleaner, media tumbler, tools and CLP to remove fouling.
- Another recommended maintenance method is to soak the fully assembled suppressor in CLP or cleaner of your choice and shoot 10-15 rounds to blast out fouling.
The VENTUM 762 is a logical progression for HUXWRX – the adaptability of a standardized mount will bring in a lot of new customers that had be hesitant to add another proprietary QD system for their rifles. In my opinion, the delay in a move to the HUB mount was due in part to the function of the HUXWRX muzzle brake design that aided with the forward flow of gasses. Now that the VENTUM has arrived, the clock is ticking for a FLOW 556/762 variant with a hub mount. Time will tell.
I just walked in from the range from shooting HUXWRX suppressors. We’ll revisit both the VENTUM 762 and the FLOW 762 next week for a full range report.
Have a great week. Be safe, have fun, and we’ll see you back here next weekend for another Silencer Saturday.
SILENCER SHOP – HANSOHN BROTHERS – DEADEYE GUNS
ALL YHM PRODUCTS AT BROWNELLS
DEALERS: If you want your link to buy YHM suppressors included in future Silencer Saturday posts, email: [email protected]
Read the full article here