Welcome everyone to the TFB Armorer’s Bench! As mentioned in the little blurb below, this series will focus on a lot of home armorer and gunsmith activities. In this article, I decided to take you guys along with me in an exciting closer look. I have always wanted to work with Real Avid since they are a Minnesota-based company and that is where I live. They were kind enough to send some products my way and before a full-on review, I thought a good old-school closer look to prime the pump would be fun. Let’s dive right into this closer look at the Real Avid Master Gun Vise!
Real Avid Reading @ TFB:
TFB Armorer’s Bench: Closer Look – Real Avid Master Gun Vise
Here, we at TFB hope to inform, entertain, and even inspire any would-be gunsmith or armorer out there. Ideally, with the information I provide and with the help of our sponsors, you can have some useful knowledge pertaining to the conservation and improvement of firearms technology while at the same time sharing experiences and teaching each other new tips and tricks along the way in the comments. Digging deep into what it is to be an armorer or gunsmith has significance but what is important is what those people do to show they’ve earned that title. I am happy to share my experiences and knowledge and hope it is informative!
Make your personal safety a priority:
- Practice proper gun safety. Always make sure before the firearm hits your bench that it is unloaded and safe to be handled.
- Wear the proper safety equipment. The main one would be safety glasses (decent ones) since parts are often under spring tension and you may work with high RPM tools. Other honorable mentions would be latex gloves or a respirator when working with potentially harmful solvents and oils. Also hearing protection when working with loud machinery or test-firing firearms.
- Modifications, alterations, and customizations will void your firearm’s warranty 9.5 times out of 10. Please take that into consideration before attempting any at-home gunsmithing.
- If you are unsure about proper safety practices, disassembly procedures, or warranty standards, stop, put down the tools, and consult a competent gunsmith.
Brief Overview: Real Avid Master Gun Vise
Real Avid has been making waves the past few years providing really well-made armorer and gunsmithing tools and equipment at fair prices. They have a lot of what I would call “gadgety” products but that is not to belittle them. All of the Real Avid stuff I have worked with worked very well. I actually really enjoy their Bore Boss series of boresnakes. They hold up a lot better than others I have put through the wringer.
As a gunsmith, I have always been curious about the Real Avid Master Gun Vise. Having a maneuverable work-holding device is of the same sort of importance tear as maneuverable lighting. To me, a vise is a must-have. It is the third helping hand that will not falter.
The Real Avid Master Gun Vise is a ball and socket design. It can spin 360 degrees, can be laid flat, and at angles. It can be torqued down or pinned into position and it is fully supported by other Real Avid products that compliment it nicely.
Specifications and Highlights: Real Avid Master Gun Vise
This vise offers a notable advantage in the form of reversible Gun-Fit sleeves, which can be effortlessly attached or detached using locking pins. On one side, there is a high-density foam pad that ensures a secure grip on delicate cosmetic surfaces through compression. Conversely, the opposite side consists of sturdy nylon material with grooves designed to hold gun parts, Picatinny and Arca Swiss rails, barrels, silencers, and various other components securely in place.
- Reversible Steel Jaw Plates
- Dual Purpose Locking Pins (4) for the Gun-Fit Sleeves and Lug-Lok™ Upper Vise Block (Sold Separately)
- Leveling Knob with 6 Degrees of Micro Adjustment of the Vise Jaws for Leveling Guns and Optics
- Torq-Lok™ Pin Locks the Ball and Socket Joint for High Torque Applications
- Speed-Cam™ Ball and Socket Locking Lever
- Articulating Ball and Socket Joint
- Quick Adjust Crank
- Gun-Fit™ Reversible Sleeves
One vise to rule them all. The first real bench vise made exclusively for guns and gun tools. Whether you’re building and customizing, repairing and cleaning or mounting scopes and accessories, this vise improves every part of the GUN DIY® experience. Quickly reposition your gun to any orientation without ever removing it from the vise. Insert the Torq-Lok pin for applying heavy force. Use the removable and reversible Gun-Fit jaw sleeves for a specific gun grip or turn the leveling knob for simple scope mounting and leveling. Build. Customize. Repair. Mount. Clean. All hail the King…
Closing Thoughts: Real Avid Master Gun Vise
The Real Avid Master Gun Vise proves to be a versatile tool for any gunsmith or armorer. With its ball and socket design, reversible Gun-Fit sleeves, and sturdy construction, it offers flexibility. Real Avid continues to impress with their well-made and innovative products, catering to the needs of firearms enthusiasts. I cannot wait to give this a full review soon!
As always, thank you for reading TFB! Be safe out there, have fun while shooting, and we will see you next time for the TFB Armorer’s Bench! Also, let us know what you think in the comments below! We always appreciate your feedback.
We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.
Read the full article here